Gmail.com is a free, advertising-supported email service provided by Google. Users may access Gmail as secure webmail. Gmail initially started on April 1, 2004 and it became available to the general public on February 7, 2007. The service was later upgraded along with the rest of the Google Apps suite It initially started with a storage capacity offer of 1 GB per user. Later Gmail significantly increased the webmail standard for free storage from the 2 to 4 MB. Its competitors such as Hotmail offered less storage capacity at that time. Individual Gmail messages, including attachments, may be up to 25 MB. Gmail has a search-oriented interface and a “conversation view” similar to an Internet forum. It is the most widely used web-based email provider with over 425 million active users worldwide. According to a 2014 estimate, 60% of mid-sized US companies were using Gmail. Recently, Gmail became the first app on the Google Play Store to hit one billion installations on Android devices.
What are The Gmail Features:
- Gmail Drive Free Storage The best part about joining Gmail service is that Google owns it and they are best at business.So, they have come up with an excellent added service along with Gmail which is G Drive to provide extra cloud storage facility from Google.You will be given 15 Gigabytes of free storage and you can upgrade later up to 30 Terabytes.
- Inbox Tabs and Category LabelsThe newly updated category classification allows you to separate promotions,social and updates into different tabs.
- Customizable ThemesYou can now customize your them by selecting from color, HD, Custom , Classic themes.They provide you more than 30+ potential themes.
- Group Chat You can chat with a number of friends by simply adding them to any chat.There are restrictions on the chat/messaging service.
- Voice CallsWhile Gmail is growing enormously as a mailing giant, they are also providing basic services like Voice calls for free.You don’t need to pay anything for the video calls made thorough gmail.com.
- Group Hangouts/Google Hangouts Group hangouts is a video gathering program or initiative by Gmail which is similar to webinars.You can create an video hangout on any topic and add up to 10 different friends.
- Switch Multiple Accounts I would say this update is really an useful one because it allows you to change from one account to another without logging off.You can add multiple accounts by clicking on ” add Account
How To create gmail an account?
- Go to www.gmail.com
- Click on Create an account
- Then in the signup form fill in all your personal details such as name, date of birth, location and choose a unique email address.
- Accept the google terms and conditions
- All the other tabs are optional like adding picture of yours, adding contacts and customizing settings
- You have to confirm your email with a phone number or with other existing email.
Gmail.com Specifications :
- Web address : mail.google.com
- Type : Commercial
- Type of Site : Webmail
- Registration : Required
- Total Languages : 72 languages
- Total Users : 425 million (June 2012)
- Idea : Rajan Sheth
- Creator : Paul Buchheit
- Launched On : 1st April, 2004
- Owner : Google